Home  >  MyMassey  >  FAQ  
    Home  |  Study  |  Admission  |  Student life  |  Research  |  Initiatives  |  About

Staff, use your username and password to log in.
Apply for a Student ID and Password
Forgotten Password

Category: Main -> -> Glossary

What do these terms mean in WebEnrol?

The terms listed in this glossary are commonly used in the Online Enrolment. For a full list of university terms see the Massey University Calendar Glossary.

| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |

<a name=a>Admission

The right to enrol in papers/qualifications at the University. Admission criteria and processes depend on the student's educational history and age.

Admission with Equivalent Status

Admission with Equivalent Status is an entry opportunity for candidates who wish to study for a degree or diploma, but do not have the entry qualification required. AES at Entrance level is required by students who are under age 20 and do not have the standard qualifications for entrance to a university in New Zealand. AES with graduate status to postgraduate qualifications is granted on the basis of completed academic work that substantially corresponds to course work in this University. Candidates may be granted 'AES with graduate status ' to graduate qualifications on the basis of practical/professional experience equivalent to that of a graduate in an area relevant to the qualification. 'AES with graduate status' is only granted to the specific qualification considered, i.e. it is not transferable.

<a name=b>Block Mode Papers

Papers in which the class contact is in a compressed time period. Off-campus locations may be used.

<a name=c>College

Colleges are made up of academic units related by discipline that plan, direct and coordinate research and teaching. There are five colleges at Massey University: College of Business; College of Creative Arts; College of Education; College of Humanities and Social Sciences; and College of Sciences.

Contact Courses

A period of time, usually of one to five days' duration, in which extramural students meet with academic staff and other students and participate in any of the following: lectures, labs, workshops, tutorials, seminars, field trips or tests. Contact courses usually occur during the mid-semester and mid-year breaks, at either the Palmerston North or other Massey University campus(es). Attendance at contact courses ranges from absolutely compulsory (no exemptions will be granted) to voluntary.


Certificate, diploma and degree programmes are defined in terms of credits. Every paper has a credit value associated with it that indicates its contribution to the qualification enrolled for. (Each paper's credit value applies to all qualifications to which that paper can contribute.) The standard undergraduate paper is 15 credits, except in some professional qualifications. (See 'Effective Weekly Hours'.)


The term 'cross-credit' refers to credit granted on the basis of a completed qualification, at Massey University or elsewhere. Cross-credit also applies where a candidate completes the courses of study for two qualifications at the same time and wishes to credit one or more papers to both qualifications.

<a name=e>Effective Weekly Hours

The value of a paper in credits gives an indication of the total amount of time (including lectures, laboratories, tutorials, visits and study time for internal students, or contact courses, study groups and private study time for extramural students) that students might reasonably expect to have to spend in order to meet the assessment requirements satisfactorily. Converted into a number of hours per week, this is referred to as the effective weekly hours for the paper. For a double semester paper, each credit equals about 6.25 hours of study time per week. For a single semester paper, each credit represents about 12.5 hours of study time per week.


A combination of prescribed papers in a specific subject that comprise most or all of the qualification requirements within the Regulations for that qualification.

Enrolment Period

The period during which particular papers are offered. For example, in 2008 Semester 1 is coded as enrolment period 0801, Semester 2 is coded as enrolment period 0802, Summer School is coded as enrolment period 0803 and Double Semester is coded as enrolment period 0812, spanning Semesters 1 and 2.


A formal requirement normally held at the end of a course or at completion of a thesis that consists of such written, oral and practical questions as the examiner(s) for a paper or thesis may determine. These questions are set to test candidates' knowledge, skills, and understandings. The results of the examination will be part of the final grade for the paper.


University study undertaken by correspondence and/or by electronic means with the opportunity usually provided for some contact courses during the enrolment period. Also referred to as distance education or online learning (if web-based).

<a name=f>Fees

Payment for university study.

<a name=i>Internal

University study undertaken by attendance at the regularly scheduled classes for a paper.

<a name=l>Level of Papers

The level of a paper indicates how advanced the content of a paper is. Most undergraduate degrees consist of 100-, 200- and 300-level papers in which 100-level papers are taught in the first year, 200-level papers build upon these in second year and 300-level papers may be studied once 200-level papers are successfully completed. Some longer degrees require additional papers to be completed, e.g. Bachelor of Social Work to 400-level and Bachelor of Veterinary Science to 500-level. Postgraduate papers are taught at 700-, 800- and 900-levels.


The campus or other designation for the site of a paper offering.

<a name=m>Major

A combination of prescribed papers that make up the specialisation within a degree. A double major is available in some degrees and requires specialisation in two combinations of papers.


Refers to the teaching method of the paper, which may be internal, extramural or block delivery.

<a name=p>Paper

A module of work in a particular subject that is identified by means of a unique code number. Each paper carries its own credit value.

Paper Code

Each Massey University paper has a six-figure code to distinguish its subject, level and identity, e.g. 150.214 where '150' denotes M&#257;ori Studies, the '2' shows it is a 200-level paper and the final two digits ('14') identify the paper at that level.

Paper Offering

A paper at a particular campus location in a given semester and delivered either internally, extramurally or by block course.

Postgraduate Study

Involves study at either 700-, 800- or 900-level, or a combination of these levels, normally for an honours degree, master's degree or doctoral degree, a postgraduate certificate or a postgraduate diploma. Normally undertaken when a Bachelor's degree has been completed.

Programme of Study

A set of papers that must be passed to meet the requirements of a qualification.

<a name=q>Qualification

An official award given in recognition of the successful completion of a programme of study.

<a name=r>Recognition of Prior Learning

The term given to granting of credit on the basis of formal (see Cross-credit and Transfer of Credit) and informal learning. Credit on the basis of informal learning is assessed by a portfolio of supporting material or by the use of a challenge examination.

<a name=s>Semester

A prescribed period of the academic year during which a paper is taught and completed. A single semester normally comprises 13 weeks of teaching followed by final assessment where appropriate.

Student Allowance

An amount paid for living expenses to some full-time students. Entitlement depends on a student's age, income and, if applicable, parental income.

Student Contract

The legally binding contract entered into between the University and the student.

Student Loan Scheme

A government scheme available to students who are New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents living in New Zealand (except part-time, single-semester students) to cover tuition costs, course-related expenses and (for full-time students only) living expenses.


A combination of prescribed papers in a specific discipline that comprise most or all of the qualification requirements within the Regulations for that qualification, usually at Bachelor Honours or Masters level.

Summer School

A period of study during the summer ... shorter in length than a normal semester. Some Summer School papers are delivered over the full mid-November to mid-February period, and other papers are delivered over a shorter time span.

<a name=t>Transfer of Credit

Credit may be transferred from an incomplete qualification at Massey University or another tertiary institution. Application for transfer of credit is a statement that the candidate does not intend to complete the original qualification at a later date.

<a name=v>Verified Document

A verified copy is a copy of an original document that has been signed and dated (preferably with an official stamp) for authenticity by a person authorised in the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957 as able to take declarations. This person could be a:

- Justice of the Peace
- Barrister or solicitor of the High Court
- Notary Public
- Court Registrar or Deputy Registrar
- Member of Parliament
- Land Transport Safety Authority, Public Trust, government department (including Internal Affairs and Inland Revenue) or local authority employee designated for the purpose of taking oaths and declarations.

When a student is in a remote community and is unable to access a person from the above list, a school principal, minister of religion or general practitioner is acceptable.

A verified copy of a whakapapa statement is acceptable only when a student cannot obtain a birth certificate. Both the student and a kaumatua must sign the whakapapa as evidence of identity and citizenship.

The signatory must identify their official designation on the front page of the copy (preferably with an official stamp), sign and date the copy and write the following words (or words to the same effect): “This is a true copy of an original document that I have sighted”. All subsequent pages of the verified copy must be initialled by the signatory.

The document with the verification must be received by Massey University and not a copy or fax of the verified copy.

The University does not return verified copies to you. Please do not send original identity documents. If you do send originals, Massey University does not guarantee secure return of these documents to you.

As an alternative to sending in verified copies of your documents you can show the originals to a Massey University staff member who can sign and date (either manually or electronically) your enrolment record to show that these documents have been sighted. The staff member may also take a copy of your original document.

Back to top
Contact UsAbout Massey UniversitySitemapDisclaimer Last Updated: July 29, 2017 © Massey University 2002